Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sounds Like California

The thing about discovering great music is that sometimes you can find it merely by stumbling upon it by accident. Hence, that is how I discovered Best Coast.

I was on Urban Outfitters' website looking up vinyl records for my collection when I noticed one of them that caught my eye. The vinyl's art cover featured a yellow background with the words Best Coast written in big letters and a beach coastline right below it. Also included, on the lower left hand corner where the ocean is located, a small outline of the state of California was placed along side a giant cat. The cover was rather silly but left an impression in mind even after I left the site. As soon as I was done looking for vinyl records, I went to Spin.com to check out some of their featured album reviews. The second review featured right below M.I.A.'s latest release, MAYA was for same album I saw earlier with the yellow background, beach coastline and the giant cat. The review for Best Coast's album, Crazy For You fascinated me and sparked my interest in the band especially after singer/guitarist Bethany Cosentino described their music as something that "people could make out to under a beach blanket". Swiftly, I looked for the album and began listening to some of the tracks. I was immediately hypnotized by their breezy melodies and by Bethany Cosentino's retro inspired voice. It feels as though this album was recorded during the 50's or 60's, buried in the sandy beaches of California and only now it has been dug up for our listening pleasure. I describe as the perfect summer album. It makes me wish that my car was a convertible and my girlfriend and I would drive around the coastline of Oahu with the top down, with the sun shining down on our faces and with Crazy for You
playing in the stereo. Truly this is one of 2010's precious gems and it is something that should not be missed out especially before the summer is over.

Boyfriend by Best Coast by Future Phonograph

No comments:

Post a Comment