Tuesday, August 25, 2009

She's All That

One celebrity that I had a huge crush on when I was growing up was an actress by the name of Rachael Leigh Cook. For those who remember who she is, Rachael Leigh Cook is an actress who is well known from the movie She's All That where she plays a nerdy art student who turned popular. She was also known for playing Josie in the movie Josie and the Pussycats which was based on the 1970's cartoon of the same name. I remember she had those gorgeous eyes that can easily melt your heart in one glance. Since then I watched every movie and bought every magazine that she was in including the infamous first issue of FHM magazine where she was featured on the cover. Other than the fact that she is one of the most beautiful women on Earth and a terrific actress, there is one thing very special about her and it has to to do with music. If it wasn't for her, I would not have known who New Found Glory was. If I could I would thank her for this.

I discovered New Found Glory when Rachael Leigh Cook did a music video for their song, "Dressed To Kill". The music video featured the band playing in a garage while Rachael Leigh Cook is being spied by one of the neighbors. It was a pretty awesome video. Then I found out later that the song for the video is on their self-titled released from Drive-Thru Records, which was their record label at the time. I looked up the album and started listening to some of the songs. Not only did I enjoyed listening to every single song on the record, but this marked a monumental moment in my life. This was the first time I was ever listen to pop punk.

I never imagined that the both pop and punk can combine to form one distinct sound.Both were two very different genres. But that is what the band from Coral Springs, Florida did and that is what makes their sound so unique. Although their sound is mainly pop punk, it has hints hardcore mixed into it. This gives the band a different kind of energy that is unmatchable to the other bands playing at the time. Their self-titled album is simply a stunning effort full of catchy lyrics, perfectly crafted pop punk melodies and hardcore breakdowns. The music is so catchy that it is addicting and immediately upon first listen, you will be hooked. Which is why the replay value for this album is very high and it is something worth listening to with the volume at full blast. Key songs that I recommend on this album are "Dressed To Kill", "Hit Or Miss" (a re-recorded version from their debut album Nothing Gold Can Stay ) and "Black And Blue". But again a picking favorite song on this album is an understatement since ever song on this album is a gem.

After many years of touring, playing thousands of shows and six albums later, they are still one of the most popular and most influential bands of the alternative scene. Like wine, these guys get better with age and these guys still rock. I know because I've been to one of their shows. I highly recommend this album and if you are still unsure about these guys, look up the pop punk bands that you listen to today and check their influences. Don't be surprise if you see these guys or this album listed on some of them.

As for Rachael Leigh Cook, she still continues with her acting doing indie films and various TV shows. She is also happily married to fellow actor Daniel Gillis whom she had been married to since 2004. And although, I grew out of my boyhood crush and moved on with my life, I can still look back and remember Rachael Leigh Cook. For it was her that opened my ears to pop punk and helped me discover a new genre of music.

And yes, she really is all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment