Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Like Falling In Love

I remember the first time I've listened to this album. It was in a Tower Records during my years in college. The one thing I love about Tower Records were their listening stations. Their entire stores were practically covered with listening stations giving their customers a chance to always hear and discover great music. In one of those aisles I was walking in, I stumbled upon this album, Paramore's debut album, All We Know Is Falling. I have heard of Paramore before, but I never had the opportunity to listen to their music. I figured that their music sounded like alternative rock with female vocals added into the mix. This combination is not new to music (i.e. No Doubt). Nevertheless, I decided to give the band from Franklin, Tennessee a chance. So I put on the headphones and played the first track. An hour has passed and I was still listening their album. While listening to the album, I felt warm and fuzzy sensation in my chest. My breathing pattern changed and my heart slowly began to beat faster. A feeling of euphoria was consuming my mind and body. I recognized this feeling all too well. I was falling in love.
I know. It's a little silly, isn't it? And you are probably asking yourselves, "how can anyone fall in love simply by listening to an album?" I can assure you that this is not some strange phenomenon. There are so many people that develop strong feelings toward the music they listen to especially love. I just never realize I would be falling IN love while listening to this record. But before I go any further on that subject, I want to talk about the album. and the music that is All We Know Is Falling.

The sound of the album was exactly like what I mentioned earlier. The sound of the album is alternative rock accompanied with female vocals. It's filled with strong melodies with catchy hooks that will give listeners an enjoyable listening experience. The production of the album is great. Despite being just a debut album, this already showcased the band's potential in making great music. Each member of the band is very talented and their future is very promising. Speaking of members, I want to talk about one particular member of the band for she is the difference that makes the band different from all the other alternative rock bands out there. In fact, she is the reason why I "fell in love" with band. I'm talking about none other than Hayley Williams, the lead vocalist of Paramore.

Immediately upon listening to the first track, Hayley Williams' voice already made a big impression. For a girl of only a mere 5' 2", this girl has a big voice and packs one hell of a punch. Listen to songs like "Pressure", "Brighter" and "Never Let This Go" for they are some of the highlights on this album and it showcases the versatility of her vocals. Another thing to point out about Hayley's voice is that it has this strange quality where her voice sounds very strong, but elegant at the same time. It is quite amazing listening to her. My favorite track is "My Heart" which is the final track on All We Know Is Falling and it is where the Paramore vocalist truly shines. And at the tender age of 16, which was how old Hayley was when she recorded the album, really shows how talented she is and makes you wonder what she is capable of in the future.

All We Know Is Falling is a solid debut album from Paramore. The music is fantastic, the song writing is stellar and the power and elegance of Hayley Williams' voice is absolutely phenomenal. It may not be the most groundbreaking album of the alternative rock scene, but it is stepping stone in the band's young, but promising future.

Now back to the whole "falling in love" aspect of it. Honestly, I can't explain to you how I simply "fell in love" listening to an album. Maybe listening to the music brought me back to a time when I felt that feeling for the first time. Maybe there was a connection I felt subconsciously to the lyrics of some of the songs. Or maybe I had a developed a huge crush on Hayley Williams and I didn't even know it. Whatever the reason may be, all I can say is that music has a way of speaking to our souls when we listen. Where we not only listen with our ears, but with our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment