Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Sentimental Engine Slayer

I'm a huge huge fan of The Mars Volta. Almost to the point where it has become my obsession. In healthy sense, of course. More particularly, I have been following Omar Rodriguez-Lopez in all of his projects including all of his solo records (his solo records are amazing, by the way). What most people don't know about him, besides the fact he is the co-leader of The Mars Volta next to Cedric Bixler-Zavala, is that he is an aspiring film maker. A few years ago, I was watching one of their interviews on Youtube and I remember that Omar mentioned that he was currently making a film entitled The Sentimental Engine Slayer. Obsessed as I was (still am, actually), I immediately looked up anything that would give me any information regarding his cinematic endeavor. Not one single piece of information was found. Not even a small plot line of the movie existed. But then I realized something. Throughout the history of The Mars Volta as well as his solo career, he has made many records, but majority of them have never seen the light of day. I figure that this one was one of them. Eventually I forgot about the movie. But then just a few days ago, a 52 second trailer of his long forgotten film which premiered at Rodriguez Lopez Productions. As soon as I watched it, it has rekindled my obsession and I can't wait to watch it. It has already made quite an impression at the Tribeca Film Festival and I hope that somehow someway it would make it down to the islands for a viewing. For all of you out there reading this, check out The Sentimental Engine Slayer at your local theaters, film festivals and even your museums. For a better idea of what the film might be, check out the trailer below and read more about it at their official site. For those on Facebook, click HERE. Also, if you are interested in finding out more about Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's solo work click HERE. For anything on The Mars Volta, click HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment