Saturday, May 14, 2011

Something Real

In light of Dia Frampton’s performance on NBC’s The Voice, I thought it would be nice to revisit her band, Meg & Dia’s debut album, Something Real.

It was an article in Alternative Press a few years ago where I heard about Meg & Dia for the first time. I immediately logged into their Pure Volume page and immediately I was hooked on their song “Masterpiece”. My first impression was that they were a great indie pop band. It wasn’t until I picked up Something Real the following day that I realize they are much more than that.
Upon first listen, it is obvious that Meg & Dia can rock out. “Monster”, the first track off the record is a dark and sinister portrayal on violence and abuse. Not only is this song an absolute rocker, it proves that they are not afraid to tackle on more mature theme in their music. The energy of song does not stop there and it carries throughout the rest of the album. Other noteworthy rockers on the album are “Roses”, “Indiana” and “Nineteen Stars”. Still, Meg & Dia can still make your heart melt when they slow the tempo down. Along with “Masterpiece”, “Rebecca” and “Setting Up Sunday” are amazing ballads. One thing that I would like point about Meg & Dia is how versatile they are as songwriters. Majority of their lyrics are based on classic literature, which not only showcases how talented they but makes their music even more fascinating. I’m not sure which books they take reference from, but I admire and respect how much thought they put into their music. On one final note Something Real, my favorite track on the record is “Cardigan Weather”. Not only does this song have a jazz blues step into it, it is reminiscent to the Meg & Dia’s early days as a duo. It’s a nice addition to an already stellar album which shows how far they have come.

Meg & Dia’s debut record truly lives up to its name. It is music that offers something real for their listeners.

1 comment:

  1. how did dia go from this to the dia we see on tv??????

    ReplyDelete