Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Music

As far as music goes, my father was my biggest influence. For as long as I remember, whenever a song comes on the stereo or when a melody was played on the guitar, my father always has his hand in music. He even used to tell me stories about the bands and artists he used to listen to back when he was young. He would describe their influence in that particular time and how it influenced him. Little did he realize that these stories helped shaped my love for music. It was one of the wonderful gifts that my father has given to me.

In honor of Father's Day, I decided to look back on some of my father's favorite artists and why they were so significant to me

James Taylor

One of the fascinating things about my father was his love for folk music. James Taylor was one of his favorites. This may have contribute to my love for folk music today. There were many songs that he enjoyed, but one of the ones I remember fondly was "Fire And Rain". It still remains one of his most beloved songs to date.


Pink Floyd

My father and I both share an appreciation towards psychedelic rock music. Him listening to Pink Floyd back in the day would be equivalent to me listening to The Mars Volta of today. My dad bought a laser disc (imagine really big DVDs) copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall years ago and we used to watch it all the time. It was a memory that I still cherished today.


Jim Croce

From time he was young and living in the Philippines, my father has always been a great guitar player. He used to play cover songs from some of his favorite artists including folk pop singer by the name of Jim Croce. One of my favorite songs that he used to sing to me and sister was a song called "I Have To Say I Love You In A Song". Since then it has become one of my favorite songs from Jim Croce.


The Beatles/John Lennon

If you look at one of my father's arm, engraved in ink is the band's name as well as John Lennon's name. It was obvious that at one point of his life that he was fan of the legendary fan. More particularly, he was a fan of John Lennon. My father had many stories about their music and how it's influence still makes an impact in today's music. Their song "Let It Be" is definitely a prime example of that.


Eric Clapton

I'm not too familiar with my father ever listening to Cream, but he was definitely a fan of Eric Clapton. He was perhaps one of my father's biggest influences in playing the guitar. He used to play songs such as "Tears In Heaven", "Layla" and "Change The World". However, the song that I'm most fond of him playing was Eric Clapton's bluegrass country influenced song, "Motherless Child".

Thanks Dad for sharing your love of music with me. But above all, I can't put into words what a great father you are. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment