Thursday, March 15, 2012

Interview With Teesa

In January 2011, I had the privilege to review the debut EP from up-and-coming pop star Teesa. Her
electro-sonic melodies combined with catchy lyrics showcased the pop star's ability to create amazing pop songs. The album have garnered positive praise and was even selected as one of the best albums in last year's Cream of the Crop list.


The hard working songwriter is currently working on brand new music for she is on the verge for a breakout year. Recently I was able to talk to Teesa about her new music, her favorite albums and what's in store for her in 2012.



1. From listening to your music, your brand of pop music can be described as "futuristic power pop". Have you always wanted to be a pop star?

I just consider myself an artist. I write music and lyrics with my guitar or piano, then transform them later down the line. The last E.P. you heard of mine definitely dove into futuristic fantasy realms. I have a very nerdy side, as well as a heavy emotional side. But my focus is heavily on strong melodies and effortless feeling, unique lyrics. In the end, I guess I'm making Pop music!

2. A few years ago, you were in an indie rock band called Trey's Parade. What made you decide to go from indie rock to dance pop? Was the transition from genre to another difficult?

I think as a creative person, I'm always naturally evolving. But to be honest, I think it was L.A. that made this switch for me lol! I got introduced to the aspect of the music industry where people were hammering out tunes within hours and then got put on the radio the following weekend. It was a brilliant complex system that I felt really challenged by. I used to consider myself a music nerd, more experimental. But at the end of the day, I want my messages to be heard. And learning to write Pop music really helped that. My creative process is always focused on energy, rock and roll is energy. Whether it's from guitars or a synth beat.

3. What inspires you? Who are your influences?

Lately, I feel like a remote controlled car, where my emotions are the antenna. My moods inspire my music and fashion. Lately I've been influenced by the early 90's grunge wave as far as guitar tones and song structure, as well as electronic music from Japan and Korea.

4. Who are you currently listening? Any favorite albums?

Umm, I've recently been listening to a lot of Gotye, Fiona Apple, and K-Pop. My favorite group is SHINee. I've had Coldplay's "Paradise" on repeat since it came out for some reason.

5. What are your views on the constant evolution of the internet and it's impact on the landscape of music?

I mean, I've always pursued music independently mostly with tools from the internet. Everything is accessible to listeners, which is good for exposure, but not as much for longevity. I think it makes an artist have to work harder, continuously delivering for fans because they have shorter attention spans.

6. You are currently in the process of recording new music? What can we expect on the upcoming EP? Will there be a change in your sound?

Yes! I'm working on a new E.P. I am using a lot of different influences compared to the last release. I guess you could say it's a fusion of my Indie rock background flipped with the heavy dance side. I think Pop music needs a dose of heavy rawness. You can expect more guitars and punk messaging. I'm very excited with how the music is evolving!

7. Is there a possibility that any of your music will be pressed on vinyl one day? 

Yeah, I hope so! That's when ya know you've made something right.

8. As an artist, what do you hope to achieve with your music?

I just want my music to make a difference to someone. Inspire, discover, or fuel their emotions.

9. Which artist would you be eager to work with in the future? What is your dream collaboration?

Prince! Yup, his name is Prince, and he is funky.

10. What are your plans for 2012? Will you be touring?

Yes! I actually have a few performances lined up this year. Mostly in major city dance clubs and a few concerts. So far I've been heavily supported by the LGBT and Asian American communities, but I'm hoping to expand to everywhere listeners are!

Teesa's Top 5 Influential Albums

Purple Rain by Prince
He is everything. Singer, musician, fashion icon, sex icon. This album taught me about the importance of a good riff.

Thriller by Michael Jackson
Undeniable. Michael has THE most expressive voice, and Quincy's arrangements are timeless.

Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt
Gwen's explosive raw energy and boldness built me up as a little girl.

Pinkerton by Weezer
An overlooked masterpiece of a Power Rock album!

Greatest Hits 1 by Queen
There's a lot of great Queen albums, but I played their Greatest Hits album like an addict. No one can write an anthem like Freddie can

Her latest single, "Follow UR Heart" is available for download at Teesa's official website or by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment