Sunday, June 6, 2010

From Sherwood to The Morning of

The other day, my friend told me that he had been listening to Sherwood the past few days and he asked if I ever listened to them. I acknowledge that I, too have listened to Sherwood and noted that A Different Light was one of my favorite albums. Then as we continued our conversation, he asked me if I had any recommendations that sound similar to Sherwood. I paused during our conversation to think of some bands and the first one I thought of was The Morning of.

I'm not saying that both acts are exactly the same. However, I do admit they do play the same type of music which is pop induced alternative music. However, there are other qualities that make The Morning of stand out, not just to Sherwood, but all other pop rock bands. For one, I love the sincerity and honesty of their lyrics. Their debut album, The World As We Know It, has this amazing positive energy that you can feel it radiating through your ears when you listen to it. Their current release of this year, The Way I Fell In, still carries that energy, but at the same time showcases the depth of their maturity and growth as a band. It is as almost as though they are only going to get better and better. Another great quality about the band are the vocals of Justin Wiley and Jessica Leplon. I read in an article in one publication before and the vocals between the two were described as "dueling". I don't believe that. As a matter of fact, I prefer the word "complimenting". The reason for this is because their voices blend beautifully to create extraordinary harmonies. It's a very loving feeling and quite nice to the ears. Lastly, their pop rock melodies are arranged perfectly and highly infectious without sacrificing depth and artistry. If only you hear more these types of songs on the radio. Nevertheless, they are a very extraordinary band. If you have not listen to either The World as We Know it or their newest release The Way I Fell In, I suggest you do so right now. By the way, check out this amazing live session for their single, "Tell Me I'm Wrong" from The Way I Fell In.

To my friend, if you are reading this, I hope this is what you are looking for. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment