Friday, June 25, 2010

Like Driving A Classic Car

About two years ago, I remember that the crew of Absolutepunk.net was praising about rock & roll outfit The Gaslight Anthem and their album, The ’59 Sound. Ads for the album were all over the website and an impressive review was written by Chris Fallon (of Absolutepunk.net) which can be found HERE. In addition to that, there was an article written where the band stated that they described themselves like "Bruce Springsteen fronting The Cure". When I heard that, it immediately sparked my curiosity and I decided to see (or should I say hear) what the fuss was all about. I took a chance and bought The '59 Sound the following day. What I heard absolutely impressed me. For one, I love the vintage feel of their sound. It was definitely punk rock, but with classic rock n' roll vibe to it. When I listened to them it feels as though that I'm driving a classic muscle car and cruising down the streets of New Jersey, which is where the band hails from. Second, Brian Fallon has one of the most unique voices in music today. You can tell his voice has strong influences from blues and soul, which adds something special to their already impressive sound. Bottom line, The '59 Sound was the album that made me fall in love with The Gaslight Anthem.

Two years later, The Gaslight Anthem began recording the follow up to '59 Sound. For the new record, the band did not do anything different to their sound. There was no experimentation or change in the direction of their music. Instead, what Brian Fallon and Co. did was polish their unique sound and make it better. What came out of months of recording and writing is American Slang, which has that same classic rock and roll feel, but with more energy and more finesse than their previous efforts. Also, Brian Fallon, sounds incredible on this record as he continues to bear his heart and soul in every song as though he is a modern day raconteur. Overall, American Slang is an fantastic record and it considered to be one of the best releases of 2010. Whether you are a longtime fan or a first time listener, don't let this record escape your music radar.


No comments:

Post a Comment