Monday, July 26, 2010

The Chill Down Your Spine

I find it very fascinating when music carries invokes a dark and grim element to it. For me, I believe that that uncanny element gives the music a whole new depth. Most people shy away from this kind of music, but I think it is something to embrace for it gives the listener a whole new type of listening experience. Metric's very own maneater, Emily Haines has a knack for creating a dark atmosphere with her music.

According to one of her fans, they described Emily Haines' solo music, aka Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton, like a "murderer running their fingers down someone's spine". The description not only gave me chills and goosebumps, but allured me to take a listen. Fortunately, my girlfriend has her solo effort, Knives Don't Have Your Back. I uploaded the record to my iPod, put on my headphones and sat back in chair as the music began to play. As I was listening, I could feel Emily Haines' ghastly, but soothing voice in my veins. The dark atmosphere of the music has put me in a state of trance where I could feel as though there was someone behind me, standing with a blade in their hand. It was strange and slightly scary feeling that brings chills down my spine, but it was an amazing listening experience.


One of my favorite tracks on record is "Crowd Surf Off A Cliff". I love it so much that I've decided to post it here in my blog so that everyone can listen. Also, the video for this week is her video, "Dr. Blind", a frightening feature that takes place at a department store at night. It will make you think twice about walking into your nearest Target or Walmart at late in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment